Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Storytelling: The Determined Boy Scout

Harold the boy scout


Harold always wanted to grow up and be an accomplished Eagle Scout like his dad and older brother. He joined the Boy Scouts when he was really young so he could start learning early all the ins and outs. Every meeting, every event and every chance he was hungry to learn more or practice his skills he took advantage of. Harold convinced his dad to take him to the store and buy him anything he could possibly ever need while he was out on his boy scout adventures. He had rope, flares, first aid kits, water, snacks, extra clothes, fishing lures, Swiss Army knife and even more things.

Fall was the time of year that the Boy Scouts were put to the test to see if they had what it takes to move on to the next level and possibly become Eagle Scouts. Harold spent as much time as he could practice things like how to build a fire or how to make a tent. While he was out in the woods one day practicing his knotting skills, he heard footsteps crunching the dead leaves that the trees had shed. He stayed very still because he was not sure who would be out in the woods with him.

A little girl came into view and she jumped back startled when she saw Harold. It was obvious she had not anticipated running into anyone either.

"Hi, I'm Clara, and boy am I'm glad to see you!" she said.

"Hi Clara, I'm Harold. Why are you roaming around in the woods?" Harold asked her.

"Well, I just moved here and I was at the store getting some candy when these bullies pushed me down and then started chasing me! I couldn't get away but eventually I lost them in the woods. It was fine until I realized I had no idea where I was and I've just been roaming around since," she confused.

 Harold felt bad and as much as he wanted to practice more skills for his eagle scout test, he knew he could not leave the poor girl high and dry.

"Well, how about I see if I can get you back home?" Harold offered.

After she told him her street, he realized they were neighbors and he set off taking her there. Harold told Clara all about what he was doing in the woods and how much be wanted to be an eagle scout.

She gave him a puzzled look and asked, "You practiced so much, so why don't you have any patches on your shirt?"

Harold told her, "Well, I may not be the most skilled Boy Scout YET, but if I stop trying then I'll never get better or even have a chance at being an Eagle Scout!"

Clara smiled at him and said nothing else. Harold got her home and her parents were so thrilled to see her. They thanked Harold repeatedly for making sure that she got home safe and sound. Clara wished him the best of luck on his Eagle Scout exam and promised she would come by his house tomorrow to help him practice pitching a tent. Harold was excited to have someone to help him keep practicing his skills and also was happy he had made a new, unexpected friend.

Alice and the White Knight


Author's Note:
I took this story from my reading of "Through the Looking Glass" specifically the story series called "My Own Invention."  I really liked how when the two knights fought and the White Knight won, he didn't hold Alice as his prisoner and instead agreed to help her get to the other side of the woods. Throughout the story of their journey, it becomes blatantly obvious that the knight is not the best. He has too many items on his horse that are not necessary and he keeps falling off of his horse. Alice continuously helps him back on and he tells her it is all about practice. I chose to write this story as a story you would tell a small child to help them learn a lesson. It is a lesson about perseverance for the things you love and are passionate about, which in Harold's case, was being a good Boy Scout and eventually becoming an Eagle Scout. Harold helps Clara through the woods just like the knight did for Alice. Clara encourages Harold just as Alice did even though neither Harold or the White Knight were that good at what they were doing it. It is a fun, simple lesson that giving up won't get you to your goal so it is best to keep trying!

Bibliography:  Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (1871).

8 comments:

  1. Hey Savannah! You did a great job writing your story. I only noticed some places where you needed commas or small errors like in "..boy and I'm glad.." when you used "and" instead of "am." Nothing that took away from the story. I have only read Alice in Wonderland but not Through the Looking Glass but reading your author's note helped me know what happened in the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what your story was based off of, even though I am familiar with the original tale. I think that shows just how great your adaptations were because you were able to preserve a portion of the original story while creating something of your own.

    I also like how your story included so much dialogue. I always find it really difficult to do, but you did it really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your idea for your story was great! I like how you too a story that was from a long time ago and changed it into a story that you would hear today. I like that the Boy Scout knew he needed to help the little girl. I also love the fact that the little girl offered to help the boy scout with his skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name Harold immediately brings an image of what the character is like – which is great! I like the imagery you created in my head when you talked about him practicing his knots in the woods. I love how they were just immediately friends. I feel like that is how it is with kids. One second they are strangers and then they are playing every day together. I also love how there are children outside in this story. It is sad how kids just play on their computers or games now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the message behind this story! Harold wasn’t the best at what he loved, but that didn’t stop him from trying. I feel like everyone needs to hear that sometimes! You really made this story your own, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Savannah,

    I was not familiar with this story, but it seems like you put a really creative twist on it! I remember reading some of your portfolio earlier this semester, so this is a nice touch. I immediately imagined the cute, goofy kid in the forest. The name Harold is adorable, too. Your writing style is so easy to follow. I love it! I think it was cute and lighthearted that Clara just popped up. She was so hyper, which made it even more fun. This flows really well with the other stories in your portfolio. You are so close to being done! I really enjoyed your writing style throughout this entire project. I always look forward to reading your stuff! Great job, keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Savannah!
    Great work with this story! Until I read your authors note, I had no idea really where the ideas had come from. That being said, I love what you did with the story and how you changed it to make it your own! It was perfect! I love your writing style.
    I cannot wait to see what you do for the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it seems to me he's already doing pretty well as a boyscout. They are meant to help people afterall and that's exactly what he was doing. If this was a practicum he would have nailed it. As it was, it's a good story about sticking to what you really want to do even if it's difficult. Short and cute with a nice little moral message. Nice story.

    ReplyDelete