Sunday, October 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Robin Hood Part A

For week 11, I chose to read the ballads of Robin Hood.

The structure of the storytelling is much different than what I am used to reading because it is all in ballad form. I chose this because I like the challenge and I am hoping that by reading it, I will be able to use that form later on when it comes time for me to do my story telling assignment. The first story took me aback because I am used to the more modern portrayal of Robin Hood as a hero to the poor and destitute. In the first story, he is portrayed more as a gangster than as some nobel hero.

The Robin Hood I am more used to comes out more in the story about him and the The Ranger. I like how at first the ranger was against Robin and even stated that he was in the forest to protect it for the king, but in the end he sided with Robin and even joined his following. The quality I like best here is that Robin doesn't just try to kill him but instead battles him and admiring his strength and loyalty, Robin invites him to join the group instead of just killing him. Robin is a very inclusive character and I respect that greatly.

One of my favorite stories from this reading section is how the Shepard beat not just Robin Hood in battle, but went on to defeat Little John when Robin called in for back up. I talked about, in my past reading notes, how much I love reading about the underdog winning a fight. In this case, an underdog beat and underdog since Robin is an outlaw as is Little John. Unlike the other stories where Robin concedes the battle, the Shepard actually beat him in this one!

Lastly, I like how the battle between Robin, Little John and will against the three strange men was depicted almost as lighthearted fighting. They continued the battle and witty banter for three days and all drank together and bonded. It reminds me of little boys who fight and play games on the playground but in the end are all just friends having a fun time. I may take one of these tales and retell it with children as the characters and they are all just playing a game of make believe at recess. It would be fun and light hearted like a kids bedtime story.

Robin Hood and Little John

Bibliography: 
The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment