Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Storytelling: A Game of Cat and Mouse

Once there lived a cat named Tom and a mouse named Jerry. All the other mice would talk about how intimidating Tom was and whenever he was in the house, all the other mice would run into their hole and stay there until he went back upstairs with his owner. Jerry, however, was never intimidated by Tom and made sure all the other mice knew that he was not scared of some big furry bully.

As it got colder, Tom began to hang out more downstairs by the fire in the living room with his owner. The mice knew this meant they would have to spend more time tucked away in their holes. Jerry refused to stay hidden for almost all of winter and came up with a plan.

"I'm doing to show that nasty old Tom that he isn't the boss of me!" Jerry exclaimed to the rest of the mice.

They all shook their littles heads in dismay, fairly sure that Tom would eat Jerry if he had the chance. Jerry began plotting how he was going to outsmart Tom and make it safe for him and the other mice to roam freely during the winter. Suddenly, he had an idea.

He went up to the attic and searched for a few hours until he found enough metal and rope. After gathering all the materials he needed he ventured back downstairs to his hole to start working on his contraption. On his way, he crossed paths with Tom. As Tom approached him, he chuckled under his breath.

"And just what do you plan to do with all that junk, little mouse?" Tom questioned

"Oh, you'll see, Tom. You think you're so wise and can intimidate all the other mice into hiding. But not me!" Jerry replied.

With one last laugh, Tom pranced off upstairs without another thought or care as to what Jerry was up to. Jerry knew he had the upper hand now that Tom did not see him as a threat. He set to work building the contraption that Tom would not see coming: a bear trap.

A few days later, Tom was curled up near the fire sleeping. Jerry decided this was the perfect time and set the bear trap right outside his hole. He made his way near the fire and within seconds, Tom could smell him.

"Oh how nice," Tom said. "My dinner has delivered itself to me"

Just like that Jerry started to scurry back to his hole with Tom close on his tail. When he got close to the trap, he swerved around it to avoid getting stuck himself. Tom was too preoccupied with catching Jerry and did not notice the bear trap until it was to late. With a loud clamp, the trap shut around Tom's paw and he yelped in pain. Jerry was safe in his house and Tom had no way to reach him. All the other mice peered their heads out of their hole to see what was the commotion and saw that Jerry had outsmarted Tom just as he had said he would. Tom learned to never mess with Jerry and the other mice again and mainly stayed upstairs in his owner's room where he was safe.

Tom and Jerry 


Author's Note:
I wanted to try a different story telling technique this week, so I chose to re-write Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind as a child's story. I've never used this style before so I decided to write is as a story from the hit cartoon Tom and Jerry. In the original story, Shin-ge-bis, also known as the diver, tells all the fishermen who are scared of Ka-bib-on-okk, the North Wind, that he is not scared of him. Shin-ge-bis tells all the fishermen that he will outsmart the North wind. None of the other patrons believed this and they all retreated just like the mice in my story doubted Jerry and stayed away in their holes. Shin-ge-bis ends up taunting Ka-bib-on-okka enough to where the North Wind enters Shin-ge-bis's home and ends up thawing and nearly melting away. I wrote in my story that Jerry taunted Tom enough that he lured him into the bear trap. In both cases, the antagonist go too sure of himself and his ego lead him right into the hands of the protagonist. I chose to re-write this story because I like the moral that the underdog or good guy can outsmart the bad guy even if nobody else believes that he can. This style of writing was interesting and a lot of fun to try out. I may try to use this style again late in another story I do.   



Bibliography:
American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921). Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind

9 comments:

  1. I loved Tom and Jerry when I was younger. It was easily in my top 3 shows, so I love that you decided to retell this story as a Tom and Jerry episode. Your story sounds like a classic Tom and Jerry episode. I have never read the story Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind; however, I think your story did a good job relating to it based on your author’s note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love a good Tom and Jerry story? I thought that was very clever of you. I read the original and I thought you did a great job adapting it to what you wanted. The theme fit perfectly with how Tom and Jerry cartoons were set up, so it made it a seamless transition from the original into yours. It was very fun and upbeat, like the many episodes of Tom and Jerry, and I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Tom and Jerry were my favorite when I was younger! I used to watch it with my little brother because he laughed at absolutely everything and it was adorable. Your adaption was amazing and I loved how you managed to write a story over this! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about Tom and Jerry brings me back to Saturday mornings with my little brother. What stood out to me was when Jerry said that Tom does not perceive him as a threat. One of the worst things you can do is underestimate someone, especially in competition, because when you lower your guard that's when they get you. I'm happy that it worked out for Jerry this time and he got Tom. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom and Jerry! I love it! What a cool theme for your story; it definitely made me feel nostalgic. I also think the theme you chose for your story is very fitting with the original story, or at least from what I can tell from your Author's Note. Jerry always outsmarted Tom, who did seem to be too cocky and preoccupied to pay attention to his surroundings. (I always secretly rooted for Tom though, is that weird?) Anyway, I think you did a great job with the story - it was fun and interesting to read, especially since it related to something I'm familiar with. One thing I was curious about toward the end of this story is how Tom got out of the bear trap. Did his owner save him? I wonder how his owner felt to find a random bear trap in his house?! It also may have been morbidly funny if Tom had to get his leg amputated because of the trap, and was no longer able to chase the mice. Nevertheless, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can picture each part in my head with the way you wrote the story. I have seen Tom and Jerry a few times and this was not as extreme. It was a nice change. Also, having Tom learn his lesson was different as well. I was surprised. I read from the same unit too, and I would have never thought of Tom and Jerry. However, you did a very good job in blending them together.

    There is something I wondered though. I wonder why Tom did not attack Jerry during their conversation. It seemed like Tom was intent on getting the mice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it’s awesome that you made this story into a Tom and Jerry episode! I would have never thought to do that! The message of your story was great and I’m glad that Jerry continued on with his plan even though everyone else thought that he’d fail. I also like that you made Tom and Jerry talk in this, unlike in the cartoon, because it allows us to see more of their personalities and thoughts. The bear trap definitely reminded me of the cartoon violence in Tom and Jerry haha.

    Great job and good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Savannah,
    I have done what you have done in this story in some of my stories. I think the idea of Tom and Jerry is an excellent fit for a story like this. plus the fact that they talk makes it even more interesting. It's like all this time we have never heard their voices, and it's almost a relief to be able to hear them. There was a lot of really excellent items conducted here, like the bear trap and Tom learning a lesson. It was very refreshing. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a classic show to base this story off of. I think it fits your children book theme perfectly. I really enjoyed how fun this story was! The writing style was smooth and the details were nice. I liked how Jerry stood up for him and the other mice. Bully's are no fun so I am glad you had a positive ending. It made me chuckle when I read about the "Bear Trap". I sounded a lot like a mouse trap and to read a mouse setting up what was essentially a mouse trap seemed comical to me. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete