Thursday, October 13, 2016

Storytelling: The recovery of the magical fish hook

I could not believe that hunter was brave enough to go after that fish hook as it spiraled away into the depths of the sea. The odds of him finding the fish hook were slim to none, but nevertheless, I admired his courage and persistence in the circumstances. I continued about my own business swimming around exploring the rest of the sea but I soon became too consumed by curiosity.  The feeling overtook me and soon enough, I swam back in the direction of the palace of Watatsumi, god of the sea, to see if hunter had recovered his lost fish hook or if he had been discovered by the guards surround the palace.

I made a few laps around the outskirts of the palace and could not find him anywhere. It occurred to me that  maybe he had not found the magical hook and decided to cut his losses and return home. As I was beginning to turn away from the palace I saw movement in a near by cassia-tree. The movement was too large to be a fish like me so I took cover in a reef nearby to get a better look at what anomaly was hidden in the tree. Once I looked harder, I saw that indeed it was the hunter hiding in the tree! He was peering over the wall and staring at something with great concentration but yet he maintained a soft smile. I could hear the princess just on the other side of the wall humming softly, then all of a sudden, she gasped.

A little fish on a BIG adventure


After a few minutes, I saw the hunter go over the wall into the palace courtyard. He began to talk excitedly with the princess but I could barely make out what they were saying. I swam up and hid in the tree where the hunter had been, just in time to see the king come out to the courtyard to greet the young hunter. They shook hands and went inside the palace leaving me and my curiosity hanging up in that tree. I decided to wait a while and see if they came back out to the palace courtyard but after a few hours, I decided it was a waste of time and was getting ready to leave, until I heard the town crier trout start yelling. He said that the king was ordering all fish to come to the palace for he had a mission that required their knowledge of the land.  I had a hunch this had something to do with the hunter so I headed through the front gates as fast as I could.

I was one of the first few fish in there so I was near the front of the pack when the king came out to address us all and disclose just what our mission was to be. He explained quickly that his new son-in-law had lost his brother's magical fish hook and that whichever fish found it first would be greatly rewarded. I began racking my brain, trying to think if I remembered specifically what direction I had seen the hook float. After the king released us, I began to think back on what I had seen over the past few days. I recalled seeing the hook float to the right of the kingdom towards the reef where the Red Woman dwelt. I visited her and saw she had the hook lodged in her gills. She said she had been sleeping outside when she felt a sharp pain and woke up to this strange object lodged in her gills.

Quickly, I took her to the king who removed it and gave it back to the young hunter. The hunter, king and princess were all so thankful and as a reward, the king declared that I and my family could live in the west wing of his castle since I had done a great service for him! I could not wait to tell my mother, father and brothers of my good fortune. As I headed back to my village, all I could think about was rubbing it in my friends' faces for them undermining my great story.


Author's Note:

This is a continuation of the last story "The Brothers, The Fish and the Lost Fishhook." In this continuation, the little fish follows the hunter as he explores the palace in search of his brother's lost fish hook. I kept the story I told as close to the original as I could. All I wanted was to tell it from a 'fly on the way perspective' so I kept with the narrator being the fish from the other retelling. I was not able to keep the timeline the same as the original though because that one required years. This story I wanted to keep a little faster of a pace so I have it happening all within a few hours. Since the fish had helped the king and the hunter I thought it was only fair that he should be rewarded for his good deeds and living in a royal palace seemed like a good reward. In the first story, all his friends thought what he had told them about seeing the brothers and the fish hook was silly and unimportant. So I can imagine he would want to rush home and tell them what had happened. Boy were they wrong!

Bibliography: Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your descriptions are on point. They really bring me into the story and I can see exactly what you wanted the story to look like! I also love stories written in the first person. I love your fish hook story. Though it confuses me that humans are down there and that there are trees. Maybe you could switch it to mermaids? It just reminds me of the little mermaid and could be how Sebastian became the hand of Poseidon. I really love this story but I think you could stray from the original a little bit to make it make more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Savannah,
    I really liked how you wrote this story in the fish’s point of view. While reading this story, I could definitely picture in my head what was going on. The image was also a great addition. I’m also glad the fish was rewarded at the end. It’s cool to see how he was the one that saw the hook disappearing and was able to retrieve it at the end. I was a little bit confused during the part that talked about the hunter hiding in the tree. Was he on land or in the water? I think it would be interesting to explain what happened there whether he had special powers to live in the water or not. Overall, I think you did a great job with this story. It was rewarding and I love reading stories will a good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were thorough in describing the setting and the scene where the main character sees the hunter. Also, you did very well in your fly on the wall storytelling. Your storytelling choice made me curious about what was happening. I really wanted to wait with the main character to see if the king and hunter would return to the palace courtyard and see what they would do next. I liked how you wrote how the king gave the main character a reward for his help.

    I wonder what magical powers the magical fish hook had to make it important enough to have all the fish go looking for it. Aside from this, I wonder what the main character’s great, undermined story at the end was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! I enjoyed this story a lot and it was a fun read. I also liked how you wrote the story from the fish's point of view. It made it very interesting to follow. Along with that, you had great imagery within the story and the descriptions went well. I was able to picture the story while reading it and it made it more relatable. While reading, I wondered what would have happened if the fish did not give the hook back. Would he get some type of magical power or would it curse him since he was not the owner of the magical hook? Overall great story!

    ReplyDelete