Monday, October 10, 2016

Week 8 Growth Mindset

Something I still struggle with as a growth mindset is my tendency to compare myself to others and devalue my accomplishments. I look at the best of the best and compare myself to them. Either I look at their success and wish I was as good as they are at that specific thing or I tell myself there is no way I can compete or will ever be nearly as good as someone else at something.

Instead I need to value my strength and believe people when they tell me that I am good at something instead of just discrediting their compliment. Acknowledging there are things I'm good at will give me more confidence to try new things or push myself in certain things I'm somewhat good at but have room to improve on. That is another thing; I should start allowing myself the idea that I CAN improve on something I am maybe not the best at instead of writing it off as something I cannot improve on or will never be able to do.

A few things I am good at is being organized and working ahead. I am a notorious planner because I hate feeling stressed and dislike feeling like I don't have time to slow down and do my best work. This has lead to me being addicted to my planner both my physical agenda and google calendar. I set alarms to remind me of events or due dates so that I never feel rushed or like I have forgotten something.

I have improved on my perfectionist tendency a lot in the past year. It used to be that I had to get something 100% right the first time and even the smallest flaw would give me huge anxiety or just crush my enthusiasm. I have realized that I am not perfect but I am smart and dedicated. So if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. This mindset was a hard one to adopt but it has helped me relax and even excel further in my day-to-day life as well as in my academic career. The drive to keep improving until I am the best I can be at something has soothed my nervous tendencies and has helped build my confidence as a student.

Confidence level: Over 9,000

3 comments:

  1. Reading this makes me very happy for you and your accomplishments. I have felt the same things you have felt as well. For example, I want to be the best, but I understand there are people better than me. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You have realized many things about yourself and coped with them. That is a great accomplishment. Continue doing what you think is right, and good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with the same things as I think most people do as well. Realizing our struggles is the only way we can change them, so I think that is awesome that you are coming to that realization. We can only be who we are and not what others expect of us. When we try our best that is all we can hope for and accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way when it comes to comparing myself to others. I think it is very easy to focus on what we are struggling with than focusing on what we excel at. This also comes back to how we were taught in school. We are taught that success is everything and failure is bad. Instead we should look at failure as an area where we can grow, an area of potential. Once we stop failing there is no more room to grow and learn, we've capped out and what fun is that? I also really like your picture that you chose. It fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete