Sunday, October 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Robin Hood part B

I will continue reading Robin Hood for this week's reading notes.

The story where Little John went begging had me somewhat confused. It sounded like he went and begged and then robbed from other beggars which sounds totally uncharacteristic for Robin Hood and his band of merry men. I've been having some trouble understanding these stories and occasionally have to re-read some of them. But then other passages within this story I understand completely. Hopefully soon I'll be able to understand this type of writing well enough to only read the stories once and maybe even write in that fashion for upcoming stories.

As much as Robin Hood can be a scoundrel when he outsmarts other officials, I like that he helped that poor widow woman and in return she hid him from the Bishop. This idea that all of the underdogs in the series of stories all look out for one another is more in line with the Robin Hood cartoon and movies that I am used to watching.

I thought it was very funny and in common Robin Hood fashion that when he and Little John captured the Bishop, they not only took his money but bound him and his horse to a tree in the woods. To Robin, it is not just enough to steal from him but he wants to embarrass him too.

By far my favorite story out of this section was Robin Hood's Golden Prize. I thought it was sad and ironic that Robin had to make the friars promise things that they should already be following. Things such as not sleeping with men's wives or even just being generous to the poor. I do side with the fryers though when they lied to Robin about having money. For all they know, Robin could have been a thief dressed as a friar and they didn't want to give him their money. I do believe Robin was right in how he judged their character since they likely were planning to keep the money for themselves. This is one of those stories that shows the decent side of Robin compared to other stories where he just seems to be a petty thief who wants to fight and cause mischief.
Robin Hood and the Friar
Bibliography: The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment