Monday, August 29, 2016

Reading Notes, The Odyssey: Part A

This week I chose to ready Homers: The Odyssey: Part A. The first few stories are about when Odysseus and his men have a horrific run in with a cyclopes. Strangely, I really enjoyed the repetition in the description of the daily tasks the cyclopes does. It didn't feel repetitive, but instead, had a somewhat poetic feel to it.

By far one of my favorite things about these stories is how clever Odysseus is! From lying to the cyclopes about his name to getting the giant drunk enough that he could inflict revenge on him, he is by far the most courageous and intelligent character in this reading so far. In my future story I want to incorporate a character with as much wit as him, but perhaps a little more humble and cautious. I think it will make for a very likable character for the audience!

I love how repeatedly there is an endearing personification of the "rosy fingered Dawn". That sweet description really helps me visualize not just the dawn but the view that Odysseus has of it personally. In my own story telling, I will try to incorporate that same descriptive personification so the readers can get an inside perspective of the view the characters have.

Odysseus and his men sailing

Something about the goddess Circes really moves me. I love how she is such a dynamic character, starting out deceitful and then undoing the harm she caused. She was even moved by the tearful reunion of Odysseus and his men. I'd love to include in my future story a character who could make such a change and win the readers over with their change of heart and compassion. In my story though it would be more organic since in The Odyssey Circes had to make an oath that she would not do harm to Odysseus or his men. Instead, I would hope the character would make the choice out of pure realization of the morality of their actions.

Out of all the characters I respect the courage that Eurylochus had to confront Odysseus and his arrogant tendencies. Eurylochus has a personal relationship with Odysseus but that does not deter him from tell the truth that Odysseus does not consider how is actions and words will affect the other men in the group. He makes selfish decisions both when they encountered the Cyclopes and when they were dealing with Circes. I wish Eurylochus would have stuck to his guns and not followed Odysseus and his men to the goddess's temple but I would change that if I incorporated a character similar to him in my own stories. 

Bibliography:
Homer's Odyssey as translated to English by Tony Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment