Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Storybook Favorites

      The first story book that really caught my eye was Mount Olympus Gossip. The title its self pulled me in because I love Greek and Roman Mythology. What kept me reading though was the tone of the story book. It might have been in my head, but the narration sounded very similar to the tone of the show Gossip Girl. The narrator has the inside scoop on all the secrets that go on between the gods and goddesses and the time has come for them to reveal all the dirt they have, very similar to the plot line of the show Gossip Girl. When I first started reading the story book, I had anticipated more dialogue from the main characters. I was moderately surprised when there was little to no quotes used in the stories but it grew on me. It kept the story feeling more secretive as if you and the narrator were in cahoots and the gods had no idea.



Mount Olympus
     The next story I was excited to read was Ghost-Chasers. I will be the first to admit that I really love ghost stories and all things paranormal, so right off the bat, this storybook have my vote. While the language in the introduction was a little simple for my taste, I did like how the author divided up each story within the book with its own link, introduction and little picture. I gave me a quick glance at what the whole story book was gonna be like! I also really enjoyed how the introduction ended with back and forth dialogue between members of the Ghost-Chaser team. The fact that the entire storybook was told through dialogue and narration made it feel like I was watching a movie such as paranormal activity or the Exorcism. It made it all that much creepier and intense getting to hear it from the perspective of the character. 

Ashoka Pillar at Feroze Shah Kotla, Delhi, 1861

   This third storybook caught my attention for reasons completely different than the other two. The character portrayal in The Heroes' Diaries was so compelling and deep. You got such a good sense of the character from the way they spoke and acted that you could really relate to them as normal people. The dialogue between Greg and Neville in the introduction was so well written and I like the format as quotations. It was easy to follow and I never lost track of who was speaking because the author did a great job of giving each character a very distinct voice. Each of the diaries of the different heroes had a different tone to it. It was so distinct and clear, you could almost see and hear the individual characters speaking directly to you!

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table



No comments:

Post a Comment