Saturday, September 3, 2016

Feedback Thoughts

For my articles about getting feedback I read "5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ" and "Overcoming the Fear of Feedback". I liked the tips for taking feedback because it gives a new perspective on looking at feedback and not over analyzing it. Often times, we take the feedback given way to personal and criticize ourselves instead of looking at it as a way to improve our work and habits. The tips on overcoming fear of feedback talks more about having a positive view of yourself prior to receiving the feedback. I also enjoyed that is discussed the biological aspects of receiving feedback. Realizing the half the reason we react negatively to feedback is because of biology makes me feel a little less crazy for feeling the way I do. Also, understanding why we react that way can help us counter attack those feelings proactively and prevent them from sneaking into our minds. 

Einstein's advice on effort


For articles on giving feedback I read "Presence, Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relation with Achievement" and "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset". After reading Presence, Not Praise I really enjoyed the idea of praising effort and not success. If you praise effort, you will continue to strive for the best and desire to improve yourself. On the opposite side of that, if children are only praised when they succeed, their failures will be viewed much more harshly as will the criticism that they receive. Once I read be a mirror I began to really appreciate some of the impactful teachers I've had in my life. They made me feel like I could figure out any problem no matter how difficult because they praised me for my hard work and encouraged my critical thinking. This type of feedback is what I want to give to my coworkers and employees whenever I enter the professional world. Being a good leader is knowing how to give constructive feedback and being able to foster independence and self confidence in your team. You can help them strive in all aspects of their lives if you can give them constructive feedback that will improve them without demeaning them. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree about your comments over feedback. They are completely constructive and no one wants to hurt anyone's feelings. Being a biology major I love what you said about the biological perspective and that is so true. Our minds can make us do crazy things and not think straight sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savannah! I totally agree with you when you said you enjoy the idea of praising effort and not success. When people praise success, they recipients of the praise tend to stop trying after the success. When they fail, because we will all fail at one time or another, their failures are amplified. Instead of trying again, they can get stuck out of fear of failure.

    ReplyDelete