Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Story: Genie vs Genie

No, of course he was not jealous of him. It wasn't like Aladdin didn't chose him too. They were a team... they were a pair... they were brothers. The Genie of the Ring repeated this mantra to himself over and over as he sat trapped inside his little ring. His brother, The Genie of the Lamp, spent much more time out in the real world than he spent cramped up in his tiny lamp. Aladdin always ran first to rub the lamp when he needed or desired anything, which left the poor Genie of the Ring alone majority of the time, sitting around wondering why he hadn't been chose to be the special one the master favored.

From the moment Aladdin walked into that dimly lit cave, Genie R. had a gut feeling that his brother would be chosen before him and preferred over him when the master realized the power he had stumbled upon. Through all of their past lives, Genie L. had always been the masters pet and was able to exercise his powers more frequently than Genie R. would ever dream of. Even when Genie L. spoke out against their master Aladdin, refusing to fulfill his request because it had been planted in his wife's mind by an evil magician, Aladdin did not scold or chastise him. Instead, contrary to what many masters would have done, Aladdin listened and took to heart Genie L.'s words of insight. There was even a whole three week span where Aladdin lost his ring under his bed and Genie R. was sure he would not be found again until the palace crumbled and a new master found him. Alas, Genie R. was not so lucky and was eventually found and was continually ignored.

One day, while Aladdin was in his court listening to the grievances of the common folk, Genie R. was sitting quietly within his ring prison that rested in a bowl on the side table next to the thrown. A impoverish family came before Aladdin and asked if there was any way he could help with their financial situation. While Aladdin left the chamber with the parents to go discuss with his advisors what they were capable of doing, the children were left to explore the visitation hall. The daughter 'oohed' and 'awed' at all the beautiful sculptures and paintings while the son ran all around the large chamber. He eventually found the ring in the dish next to Aladdin's chair and when his sister wasn't looking, he pocketed it. When the parents returned, the family left to think over Aladdin's proposal.

The family arrived home and the boy ran to his room and began playing with the ring. He ended up releasing Genie R. and was surprised to see such a massive being exit such a small object. Immediately, Genie R. was aware he had been taken whether by mistake or accident from Aladdin's chamber. He sighed aloud and merely assumed Aladdin would be thrilled to no longer have to worry about dealing with him. However, within the hour, Aladdin showed up to the family's house to reclaim Genie R. and the ring that had been stolen. He did not punished the boy but instead explained to him:

"That ring you took is not merely a piece of jewelry. It is a piece of my past, present and future and holds someone who is very near and dear to me. I could not imagine my life without that ring and its inhabitant and therefore now, I reclaim it."

The boy apologized and swore to never steal again and Genie R. realized he was wanted after all.

Slave of the ring


Author's Note:

I was inspired to write this story based on my part B readings of Arabian Nights. The story tells of two genies, one living in a lamp and the other living in a ring. While I read the story, I felt sad because it seemed like the Genie of the ring never got to do anything for Aladdin and rarely left his ring. It inspired me to write a story of how Aladdin really does appreciate the Genie of the Ring even though the Genie may not realize it. I had a little impoverish boy take the ring to symbolize the once rambunctious nature of Aladdin before he discovered the genies and his whole life changed. That is why he did not punish the boy and instead educated him.

Bibliography:

Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

6 comments:

  1. This was a nice piece. I like reading stories from the point of view of a lesser character and especially how lonely this one feels because he has so very little to do in the original story. It's nice to see this character get some closure. The only critical feedback I have is that you may want to go back through and proofread or have someone else proofread. You have some typos that interrupt the flow of the story. Otherwise I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting story, because I did not know that a Genie of the Ring existed. After reading your author’s note, I had an “oh” or “wow” moment. It would have been interesting to read that Aladdin saw the boy as him in the past within the story.

    Since you mentioned the Genie of the Lamp’s cramped home, I wondered where the Genie of the Ring lived when he was not summoned. It was easy to imagine a lamp space, but I wonder where a genie could live in ring, unless the ring was hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great story. I never knew there was a second genie, which is probably why he felt so ignored in the first place. You did a great job explaining the story and getting the characters some originality in such a short story. My favorite change was definitely your added bonus to the end. I'm glad that you put in the part about the genie being truly loved by Aladdin and that he was not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aladdin is one of my favorite stories! I really liked your retelling of it. Especially that of the genies that is feeling unappreciated. As well as giving the readers more then one lesson to learn. I thought you were going to go into a different direction of the little boy being the new owner and getting riches beyond belief. I like the path you chose though! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your story. I agree with you, I read this story a couple of weeks ago and it was sad that Aladdin didn't let the Genie of the ring leave that often. I never would have come up with this ending to the story though. I think it was a great ending! I can't wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete

  6. While I was reading this I kept picturing Disney’s version of the Genie finding out about a long lost brother haha. But anyway, I think you did an amazing job with the Genie of the Ring’s character. I really felt sympathy for him and I was glad to find out that Aladdin actually did care for him. I wonder if Aladdin gave Genie R. more tasks after he got him back?

    ReplyDelete