Monday, September 26, 2016

Story telling: The brothers, the fish, and the lost fish-hook

I've dwelt in these waters for as long as I can remember. My father, my father's father and even his father's father all lived around the same coral reef. Fishermen would frequent the lake quite frequently, always trying to catch one of us, but we were too smart and avoided their boats. There was one fisherman that was always at the lake and there was something about the hook he used that just entranced you if you got too close. My mom and dad always warned me to stay away from the golden hook if I saw it glistening in the water.

One day, the fisherman's brother followed him to the lake. I had heard some of the birds who gathered near the lake saying that the fisherman's brother was a fearsome hunter.  That day was just like every other one, until I saw the brothers talking intently on the shore of the lake. I was curious what they were talking about that was so serious so I swam closer to the shore so that I was hidden but could see what they were doing. Suddenly, the hunter gave the fisherman his bow and arrows and he instead took the pole and the magical hook and jumped into the boat. I was confused that they decided to switch places and swam back to the reef to tell all my friends what I had just witnessed.

I told all my friends what I saw happen but they told me I was too consumed in the everyday lives of these humans. I agreed they were probably right, that it was nothing too strange, and we started to play hide-and-seek in the reef. While I was hiding behind the reef, I saw something bright come floating towards me quickly! As it got closer, I soon realized that it was the golden, magical fish hook. None of my friends were around to see it and I was sure they would not believe my story. It flew past me and continued to float down towards the palace of Watatsumi. As I watched the magical hook disappear from my view, I realized that it was likely gone forever. The hunter would likely assumed that the hook was too deep in the water to recover. I wondered if the hunter knew the fish hook was magical and how his brother would take the news of it being gone.

Later that day, I saw the fisherman return to the lake to see his brother and return the bow and arrow. I saw no dead animals with him so I assumed his time hunting in the forest had not been successful. It looked like their conversation was escalating and suddenly the fisherman was screaming at the hunter, waving his hands and pointing in his brother's face. He stormed off leaving the sad hunter alone on the shore of the lake. I assumed the fisherman was extremely disappointed in his brother for losing the magical fishhook. I have no siblings, but I could imagine what it would feel like to lose a friend and I can imagine disappointing a brother would be worse by tenfold.

While the hunter sat on the shore weeping, I saw the old man walking across the shore towards him. I had never seen this man before and I was immediately curious what he was doing. I swam a little bit closer to get a better vantage point of their conversation. The old man put his hand on the hunter's shoulder and spoke kindly to him. Eventually, he gestured for the hunter to look out towards the far end of the lake and I suddenly realized what he was telling the hunter to do. I didn't think the hunter would be brave enough for a task like this even if it did mean his brother's forgiveness and acceptance. But without even a thought, the hunter dove into the water and began swimming deeper and deeper. He was headed for Watatsumi's palace.

Wata-tsumi
Author's Note:

I was inspired by the story The Fortune Fish-Hook to re write this story from a different perspective. The one brother is a hunter and the other one is a fisher. Both brothers are extremely talented in their fields. One day, they decide to switch roles and see how they fair at the others specialty. The hunter comes back empty-handed and so does the fisherman except the fisherman lost his brothers magical hook. The fisherman rejects the hunter brother and the hunter goes on a quest to get the hook back. I chose to use a fish living in the lake as the storyteller here. It proved to be a fun take as an outsider watching the brothers switch roles for the day only for both of them to fail at the other's task. I have done this in the past where I retell the story from an animals perspective, sorta like a fly on the wall and it always proves interesting to have an outside perspective on what the characters are doing.

Bibliography
Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

10 comments:

  1. Savannah,

    I haven't seen any other stories based on Japanese legends yet, nor have I read it myself; so I was glad to see you chose it and I can learn a little about it. I like your change in narrator perspective, I felt like the fish was a good choice as an impartial storyteller. Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed it and I look forward to reading more of your work this semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savannah,

    I really liked the story that you picked, I havent read this one so it was good that you decided to retell it and in such a good way. I really liked how you changed the perspective of the narrator to a 3rd person view. It really opens up the story to a different light, and I thought you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah,

    Funnily enough, I have heard this story before from one my family members! I wanted to congratulating you on doing such a good job retelling it, it almost felt like my uncle was telling it to me again. Changing perspectives is one the best storytelling techniques so to see it being used for a story I am already familiar with was a treat to say the least. Thank you for choosing and sharing this piece. I can't wait to read more if this story is anything to go by!

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, your page looks great! I really like the colors and it's all very easy to read.

      Your intro immediately drew me in- I have always been fascinated with fish and what is going through their little fishy minds. I often wonder what my betta fish is thinking about.

      Your author's note really does a great job of tying your story and the traditional story together. It sounds like you had fun writing this piece!

      I think it's really cool that you told this traditional story from a new perspective- that's what my Storybook project is about, too, but from the perspective of my dog.

      In all, I'm really excited to read more from you this semester! Great job.

      Emily

      Delete
  4. Hi Savannah,

    I really love your take on this story! It reminds me of Finding Nemo a lot, which is amazing. The whole time I was picturing Nemo swimming near the boat! I think your portfolio is going to be amazing since you are so creative with your writing. Everything you wrote was extremely vivid and detailed, which I loved. Literally the only thing I would change is moving the picture to the top, I think at the end it may get a little lost, but that is only a personal preference! I think you did a terrific job with everything else (the story, the format, the writing). Keep up the amazing work! I cannot wait to see how your entire project turns out. I think it would be a really cool concept to flip the perspective on all of your stories, but that is only if you are looking for an overall theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great story. I love the description you give of the magical golden hook. It sounds very alluring. A few things I would love to see implemented in this story are: one there were a few grammatical errors that if you read out loud you would easily notice. Two, I would love to see some dialogue between the brothers to find out exactly what did happen between them that left the hunter brother so distraught. I was wondering how the hook got lost, was it not on a string? I would clarify that a little more for the readers just so they understand how it was lost. Overall this is a wonderful story and I enjoy your portfolio background and color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked how you decided to re-write this story in first person and through the fish’s perspective! It added a new view to the original story. The fish didn’t actually know what was happening, and had to try and decipher the events it was witnessing. It think that was unique! Your author’s note also helped to give the reader the full story, and filled us in on information that the fish couldn’t provide. Also, in the first paragraph you caught my attention with the golden hook. It made me want to keep reading to see what it would do.

    There are some things you might think about editing though. For example, you repeat “so” a few times in the second paragraph. Maybe you could try and take a few of them out or re-word the sentence? Also in the third paragraph you should take out the first comma in the “as I got closer…” sentence because it’s not needed.

    Good luck with the rest of your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!
    I really enjoyed how you retold this story. Telling it from the fish's perspective was cool and creative. I didn't read any Japanese readings so I'm glad I got to see your telling of it because I feel like I have a little bit of exposure to it now. I feel like you did a good job of sticking to the style of the original story but adding your own way. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you told the story from the perspective of a little curious fish. I think it adds details that couldn’t be added in the original. It does take away from the narrative though. Maybe you could add some of the conversation that the two brothers had when the fish got close? Other than that, I think you did a really good job with the story itself. It flows really well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your story and the way you showed each perspective. You did a great job at making sure the readers were able to clearly define each occupation. I also like the photo you chose for your story. I try to use a lot of art photos throughout my blog, mainly because I’m a sucker for art.
    I saw nothing that would scream in my face that it’s a glaring error in your story. That just means you either edited it really well or you wrote it well to begin with. The only suggestion I really have is that the brothers are supposed to be very different in occupations. So, I’m assuming they have very different personalities. There characteristics got lost in the story and each person blended in with the other. There is really no distinguishable traits, nothing that makes them stand out. Luckily, it’s the easiest fix in the world, if you wish to do so. Great job, very well written :)

    ReplyDelete